A second 14-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a businessman following a bungled carjacking.
Police arrested and charged a child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, last week after restaurant boss Mohammed Islam was allegedly run over with his own Mercedes C220 on January 8 in Romiley, Stockport, Greater Manchester, as he was making a food delivery.
Mr Islam, 53, was taken to hospital but died two days later after suffering fatal injuries.
His K-registered silver car was allegedly driven off following the robbery and was later found dumped at 8pm on January 11, five miles away.
Attempts had been made to set the car on fire and the car has since been subject to forensic examination.
Now police have arrested a second boy, also 14 and who also can’t be named, following the ‘horrific’ incident which Mr Islam’s heartbroken family said left them ‘devastated beyond belief’.
Chief Inspector Liam Boden of GMP’s Major Incidents Team said: ‘This was a tragic incident and my thoughts remain with Mohammed’s family and friends as they try to come to terms with their devastating loss.
‘Whilst we have made a further arrest, this investigation is still ongoing and I would urge anyone with information about what happened to get in touch with police as soon as you can.’
Two teenagers have been arrested after restaurant boss Mohammed Islam (pictured left and right) was allegedly run over with his own Mercedes C220 last Friday evening in Romiley, Stockport, Greater Manchester, as he was making a food delivery
Popular Mr Islam owned the Marple Spice Indian restaurant in Marple, Stockport
At Manchester youth court last week, the first arrested boy, who lives in Stockport with his mother, appeared in the dock in a dark grey Berghaus hoodie, dark grey tracksuit bottoms and was wearing a white mask.
He was flanked by two dock officers and a social worker attended the hearing along with the boy’s mother and father who sat together.
His brother, 17, was removed from the hearing as he was too young to attend a youth court.
The accused boy is charged with murder, causing death by dangerous driving and having no insurance or licence.
He was remanded to secure accommodation pending an appearance before a judge at Manchester Crown Court.
The boy’s father appeared to mouth ‘I love you’ as the teenager was sent back to the cells following the brief hearing. No bail application was made.
DCI Boden said last week: ‘As our investigation continues I would like to pay tribute to Mohammed’s family who have shown such admirable bravery and dignity this week during the most tragic of circumstances imaginable.
‘They and the local community have responded stoically in the last few days and we are doing all we can to support Mohammed’s loved ones with specialist officers at this awful time.
‘Our priority is to ensure they get the answers they are undoubtedly owed and we urge anyone with information or footage relating this incident to submit to our portal or to contact us via phone so we can ensure we ascertain the full details of this incident.’
The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with murder and numerous driving offences
In a statement, Mr Islam’s family said: ‘Our family cannot begin to describe what losing our father has done to us. The fact he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was taken from us so early leaves us devastated beyond belief’
He added: ‘This is an extremely tragic case which has rocked the community and left a family utterly devastated.
‘We believe there may have been others involved in the incident and a number of lines of enquiry are continuing to be carried out in order for us to find those responsible.
‘We’re still asking the public to come forward with any information that may assist us – even the smallest bit of information can prove vital.
‘Anyone who may have seen a silver Mercedes in the area at the time or who may have seen it in suspicious circumstances since is asked to get in touch.
‘We’re also keen for anyone with any CCTV or dash-cam footage to get in touch.’
In a statement relatives of Mr Islam who owned the Marple Spice Indian restaurant in Marple, Stockport said: ‘Our family cannot begin to describe what losing our father has done to us.
‘The fact he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and was taken from us so early leaves us devastated beyond belief.
‘Dad was everything you could ask for in a parent; a mentor, a role model – our best friend.
‘We shared everything with him and there was nothing we couldn’t tell him that he couldn’t fix.
‘He was extremely loyal and nothing came between him and his family. Our Mum is overcome with grief; Dad was her life partner, her best friend and her rock.
‘They were inseparable since the day they met and we don’t think she will ever be able to move on from this tragedy.
‘To our Dad, family and the community was everything. He dedicated his time to helping others and he was loved and respected by everyone who knew him.
‘He would give his time and support to anyone who needed it without question, his loss is going to be felt by everybody.
‘We as a family have felt overwhelmed and truly humbled by the sheer volume of messages from people everywhere expressing their love and support. It just emphasises how truly special our Dad was.
‘It’s going to take our family quite some time to come to terms with losing our father so suddenly and in such horrific circumstances. We would appreciate our privacy being respected at this time.
‘Hold your family members just that little bit closer tonight, appreciate them that little bit more because one day you never know when that will be your last time.’