Sheffield United stars Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie are charged after Nottingham Forest pitch invasion at Championship play-off semi-final
Sheffield United stars Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged by police over alleged incidents that took place following the fall-out after their Championship play-off semi-final with Nottingham Forest.
In a statement on the club’s website, Sheffield United FC said it was ‘disappointed’ that the two players have been charged.
The club added that Brewster, 22, and McBurnie, 26, both ‘strenuously deny’ the allegations against them, having attended voluntary interviews with Nottinghamshire Police.
The charges, which have yet to be specified, relate to alleged incidents on the pitch at the City Ground in Nottingham after Sheffield United lost on penalties to Forest on May 28.
Home fans stormed the pitch at the final whistle, during which fellow Sheffield striker Billy Sharp was attacked by a Forest season ticket holder.
The club added that it was working with others to address concerns about pitch invasions, following a number of similar incidents at other grounds, including at Everton, where Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira was involved in a clash with a fan.
An official statement released by Sheffield United said: ‘Sheffield United Football Club is disappointed to learn that Rhian Brewster and Oli McBurnie have been charged following the incidents that took place at the EFL Championship play-off semi-final second leg against Nottingham Forest last month.
‘Both players voluntarily engaged in interviews with Nottinghamshire Police in the aftermath of the fixture which saw their team-mate, Billy Sharp, the victim of assault in the chaos which followed the final whistle.
‘Brewster and McBurnie strenuously deny the charges brought against them and football manager Paul Heckingbottom, who wrote letters to the League Managers’ Association, the Professional Footballers’ Association, the EFL and FA following a number of pitch invasions last month, including one involving Crystal Palace manager Patrick Vieira, is continuing discussions with key stakeholders in a bid to better protect players and staff in their place of work.’
This is a breaking news story. More to follow