Swan break! Adult bird smashes its way through double-glazed bathroom window in ‘enormous explosion’ to the shock of homeowner, 78
- Jean Wilkinson heard the ‘enormous explosion’ at her home in Nottinghamshire
- She said: ‘It was the loudest explosion I have ever heard… I was shaking’
- RSPCA arrived within a matter of hours to take care of the swan
A swan smashed its way through a double-glazed bathroom window in an ‘enormous explosion’.
Jean Wilkinson, 78, told how she heard the ‘enormous explosion’ before discovering the injured swan lying in the bathroom of her home in Attenborough, Nottinghamshire.
The retired telephone operator said: ‘I think it was last Monday and I was sitting down after I’d just been in the bathroom five minutes beforehand.
‘I had been having a wash and came to sit down to have a coffee and then all of a sudden I heard an enormous explosion.
Jean Wilkinson, 78, told how she heard the ‘enormous explosion’ before discovering the injured swan lying in the bathroom of her home in Attenborough, Nottinghamshire
‘It was the loudest explosion I have ever heard. I have recently had a new shower room put in and I looked around the house and I was shaking.
‘I thought maybe the shower screen had exploded as I couldn’t think of anything else.
‘I pushed the bathroom door open and it wouldn’t open but there was glass everywhere.
‘I went back again and pushed the door open further and found there was a swan on the floor and blood everywhere and shards of glass.
‘I pulled the door quickly tight. I have a WhatsApp group with my neighbours and I just messaged ”I need help”.
‘I said ”there’s a swan that’s just come through my bathroom window” and within minutes three or four of my neighbours were there and one had phoned the RSPCA.
The RSPCA was called and arrived within a few hours to remove the swan and take care of it
‘My neighbours helped me clear up and the RSPCA came in about three hours, which I thought was quite good.
‘One of my neighbours actually looked in through the outside and saw the swan just sitting there very quietly with its head up.
‘There was a lot of blood everywhere but it looked okay so we left it until they came.
‘I think they like to be left in the quiet and it was possibly in shock – as was I.
‘I live alone and it was all quite scary.’
Ms Wilkinson said: ‘The windows are all double glazed and there’s a gap about an inch between the glass – so it is really thick glass’
Pictured is the carnage left behind after the swan smashed its way into Ms Wilkinson’s bathroom
Ms Wilkinson boarded up her bathroom window after the swan smashed through her double glazing
Pictured is a close up of the shattered window after the swan broke through it
Ms Wilkinson says she is used to seeing swans around her home and in the fields outside her window but had never known one to crash through a window.
She added: ‘I’m opposite the Attenborough nature reserve and I live in a log cabin on stilts on the River Trent so I have fields in front of me and the river at the back.
‘There are always swans everywhere. But they’ve never crashed into the window and into the double glazing before.
‘The chances of it happening are pretty remote as they don’t tend to normally fly that low.
‘The windows are all double glazed and there’s a gap about an inch between the glass – so it is really thick glass.’