UK

Tottenham’s Covid outbreak has become even WORSE with Brighton clash at risk of being postponed

Tottenham’s Covid outbreak has become even WORSE, to add to seven first-team players who had already tested positive, with the club set to request a postponement of their Premier League game at Brighton

  • Spurs are struggling with a Covid outbreak after seven player tested positive 
  • The situation has now worsened with cases in double figures after PCR tests 
  • Their Brighton trip is at risk with the club set to request a postponement 
  • Antonio Conte’s men are preparing to face Rennes in the Conference League 
  • That clash is set to go ahead with Spurs having more than 13 players available 


Tottenham are set to request the postponement of Sunday’s trip to Brighton after their Covid crisis deepened.

Spurs were forced to re-test all of their players and staff on Tuesday after seven stars and four members of staff returned positive results.

And further positives are understood to have emerged from their latest round of coronavirus PCR tests, which they received the results from this morning – taking their positive cases into double figures.

Tottenham’s Covid outbreak has reportedly worsened and their Brighton clash is at risk 

It is not yet known which players have been affected, but up to seven initially tested positive

It is not yet known which players have been affected, but up to seven initially tested positive

Antonio Conte is due to speak ahead of Spurs’s Europa Conference League tie against Rennes at 2pm and expected to confirm the severity of the situation.

As reported by Sportsmail, the Premier League were already braced for a request from Spurs who were holding off making a call on their intentions for the Brighton until the outcome of their follow-up tests.

While the Premier League treat each situation on a case-by-case basis, UEFA’s rules are more set in stone.

The club are said to be considering a request to delay their trip to face Graham Potter's side

The club are said to be considering a request to delay their trip to face Graham Potter’s side 

The Rennes clash would only be in danger if Spurs had less than 13 players from their 25-man A list or no goalkeeper available.  

The outbreak comes as a huge blow to Spurs boss Antonio Conte, whose side have won their last three successive games and are desperate to keep momentum going. 

Spurs already have a game in hand to play after their clash at Burnley was called off due to adverse weather and Conte will be frustrated to miss out on another chance to close the gap to the top four – even without a number of top players. 

Sportsmail has approached Tottenham for comment. 

The news comes as a huge blow to Spurs, who are looking to keep their momentum after three straight Premier League wins

The news comes as a huge blow to Spurs, who are looking to keep their momentum after three straight Premier League wins  

Earlier in the season, the club reported two false positives ahead of their trip to Newcastle after taking lateral flow tests before the senior players were given the all clear to take part. 

Covid outbreaks were common last season – with many games forced to be delayed as players were struck down with the virus – but Spurs would become the first team to postpone a game if they are unable to fulfil their fixture at Brighton. 

Tottenham are on a high after beating Norwich 3-0 on Sunday, which followed a 2-0 win over Brentford and a 2-1 victory against Leeds. They must win their Conference League game against Rennes to have any chance of reaching the next round. 

Advertisement


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button