US

Barack Obama says Prince Philip set ‘extraordinary example’ for partnership

Donald Trump led tributes to Prince Philip on Friday morning with a remarkably heartfelt and lengthy statement. 

Trump – who is banned from Twitter – emailed the statement from his office. 

It read in part: ‘The world mourns the passing of Prince Philip, a man who embodied the noble soul and proud spirit of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

‘Melania and I send our deepest and most profound condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and to the entire Royal Family. We send our most heartfelt sympathies to the British people. This is an irreplaceable loss for Great Britain, and for all who hold dear our civilization. 

‘Prince Philip defined British dignity and grace. He personified the quiet reserve, stern fortitude and unbending integrity of the United Kingdom’.

He honored Philip’s military service and service to the Queen, concluding: ‘As we grieve his loss, we celebrate his memory and rededicate ourselves to the values to which he devoted his extraordinary life. He will be greatly missed.’

Trump did not Prince Philip when he visited the UK with Melania in 2019. Philip retired from royal duties in 2017, aged 96.  

President Donald Trump with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II during his visit to London in June 2019. He did not meet Prince Philip, who retired from royal duties two years earlier

Donald Trump emailed this statement on Friday after the death of Prince Philip

Donald Trump emailed this statement on Friday after the death of Prince Philip 

Barack Obama tweeted earlier in the day: ‘Through his extraordinary example, His Royal Highness Prince Philip proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater. 

‘Our thoughts are with Her Majesty the Queen, the Royal Family, and the British people.’ 

Michelle retweeted his statement. They both shared a photograph with the Queen and Prince Philip that was taken in 2016 at the Queen’s birthday lunch at Windsor Castle.

President Joe Biden said in a statement: ‘Prince Philip’s legacy will live on not only through his family, but in all the charitable endeavors he shaped. 

‘Jill and I are keeping the Queen and Prince Philip’s children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and the people of the United Kingdom in our hearts during this time.’ 

Former Presidents George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter expressed their condolences  too. 

‘Laura and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh,’ Bush sent in a statement from himself and former first lady Laura Bush.

‘Throughout his long and remarkable life, he devoted himself to worthy causes and to others,’ he continued in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II’s husband. ‘He represented the United Kingdom with dignity and brought boundless strength and support to the sovereign.’

A statement from Carter’s Presidential Library states: ‘We are sorry to hear that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has passed away.’

Both Bush, 74, and Carter, 96, met with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip when they were in office. 

President Joe Biden released this lengthy statement on Friday afternoon

President Joe Biden released this lengthy statement on Friday afternoon

Former Presidents George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter led the U.S. in paying tribute to Price Philip, who died overnight at the age of 99

Former Presidents George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter led the U.S. in paying tribute to Price Philip, who died overnight at the age of 99

Carter's Presidential Library released a photo of him and other heads of state dining with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at the G7 Summit in London in 1977

Carter’s Presidential Library released a photo of him and other heads of state dining with Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip at the G7 Summit in London in 1977

Here Bush shakes hands with Philip, as Queen Elizabeth II and then-first lady Laura Bush stand by their side, during a state visit to London in 2003

Here Bush shakes hands with Philip, as Queen Elizabeth II and then-first lady Laura Bush stand by their side, during a state visit to London in 2003

Carter’s library included an image of him and other heads of state dining with them in May 1977 during the G7 Summit in London.

Bush also remembered: ‘Laura and I are fortunate to have enjoyed the charm and wit of his company, and we know how much he will be missed. We join those around the world offering heartfelt condolences to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the entire Royal Family.’

No statement has been released yet from the White House or from the other living former presidents, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Donald Trump.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released a statement Friday on behalf of the entire U.S. Congress.

‘The US Congress extends condolences over the passing of Prince Philip, whose life was distinguished by an inspiring ethic of dedicated service,’ she wrote on Twitter. ‘May it be a comfort to Her Majesty & the Royal family that so many mourn with & pray for them at this sad time.’ 

Pelosi released a statement on behalf of the entire U.S. Congress expressing their condolences

Pelosi released a statement on behalf of the entire U.S. Congress expressing their condolences

The Queen announced on Friday morning with ‘deep sorrow’ the death of Philip at the age of 99, her ‘strength and guide’ throughout their 73-year marriage and her 69-year reign.

The Duke of Edinburgh spent his final days at Windsor Castle with his wife, who he lovingly called Lilibet throughout their long life together, after a 28-night stay in hospital having been admitted in mid-February for an infection and a pre-existing heart condition.

The Royal Family said in a statement: ‘It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

‘His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle. Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss’.

Her Majesty, who remains at Windsor Castle, is now expected to enter an eight-day period of mourning. She will not carry out any duties, even in private, while laws will not be given the Royal Assent and affairs of state will also be paused.


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button