US

Bill Cosby says he’s ‘very, very hopeful’ his sex assault conviction will be overturned

Bill Cosby is ‘very, very hopeful,’ that his appeal will be successful and he’ll be released in the New Year, DailyMail.com has learned.

Lawyers for the actor, once known as ‘America’s Dad,’ argued his case before Pennsylvania‘s Supreme Court earlier this month in a bid to have his 2018 conviction for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand, 47, overturned.

Now, the 83-year-old actor has broken his silence, speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com from SCI Phoenix where he has been incarcerated for the past two years.

He described himself as ‘very, very hopeful,’ following the December 1 hearing. 

And while he admits ‘we’re not declaring a win,’ he expressed his pleasure that ‘the world got to hear and witness what mainstream media refused to publish, which was the truth and the facts.’

Bill Cosby is ‘very, very hopeful,’ that his appeal will be successful and that he will be released in the New Year, DailyMail.com has learned

Cosby was sentenced to three to ten years after the jury at his second trial in Montgomery County returned a verdict of guilty on all three counts of drugging, lack of consent and sexual assault

Cosby was sentenced to three to ten years after the jury at his second trial in Montgomery County returned a verdict of guilty on all three counts of drugging, lack of consent and sexual assault

Cosby was sentenced to three to ten years after the jury at his second trial in Montgomery County returned a verdict of guilty on all three counts of drugging, lack of consent and sexual assault

Lawyers for the actor, once known as 'America's Dad,' argued his case before Pennsylvania's Supreme Court earlier this month in a bid to have his 2018 conviction for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand (pictured), 47, overturned

Lawyers for the actor, once known as ‘America’s Dad,’ argued his case before Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court earlier this month in a bid to have his 2018 conviction for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand (pictured), 47, overturned

Cosby was sentenced to three to ten years after the jury at his second trial in Montgomery County returned a verdict of guilty on all three counts of drugging, lack of consent and sexual assault.

But the fallen icon has always maintained that his interactions with Constand at his home in Pennsylvania 16 years ago were consensual.

DailyMail.com was first to reveal that he had refused to take part in the sexual predator rehabilitation program, which is a condition of him being eligible for parole.

According to his spokesman and right-hand man, Andrew Wyatt: ‘The minute you set foot in a sexual predator class you’re a demon, you’re guilty of that crime.

‘He’s willing to sit there the entire ten years rather than attend that course.’

His hopes of early release amid Covid-19 fears were dashed in April, after Governor Tom Wolfe revealed plans to ‘temporarily relieve’ at risk inmates but ruled sex offenders ineligible.

Now, Cosby has revealed, he is on lockdown 20 hours a day and his twice daily, 15-minute phone calls have been cut to just one ten-minute call a day.

DailyMail.com has also learned that a fire broke out on the same side of the prison in which Cosby is housed a few weeks ago and caused extensive damage that is still un-repaired. 

Water and heating as well as air conditioning units in many of the cells – including Cosby’s – were affected causing dampness and condensation.

Wyatt said there has also been an outbreak of Covid-19 cases in the area in which Cosby is being held. Cosby is being tested daily for the virus. 

For his part, Cosby revealed: ‘As of now I have declined to take any showers and I have decided to take wash-ups in my cell. This is the best way for me to stay safe and healthy.’

Now, the 83-year-old actor has broken his silence, speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com from SCI Phoenix (pictured) where he has been incarcerated for the past two years

Now, the 83-year-old actor has broken his silence, speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com from SCI Phoenix (pictured) where he has been incarcerated for the past two years

According to his spokesman and right-hand man, Andrew Wyatt (pictured), 'The minute you set foot in a sexual predator class you're a demon, you're guilty of that crime. He's willing to sit there the entire ten years rather than attend that course'

According to his spokesman and right-hand man, Andrew Wyatt (pictured), ‘The minute you set foot in a sexual predator class you’re a demon, you’re guilty of that crime. He’s willing to sit there the entire ten years rather than attend that course’

Wyatt admitted, ‘Many of the inmates are more concerned for Mr Cosby due to his age, health issues and blindness.’

But despite this, Cosby is keeping his spirits up, maintaining his own fitness and advised others to do likewise.

He said: ‘Take plenty Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Zinc, Magnesium, B12 and Elderberry Syrup because we must save lives from this invisible monster…in every city in America.’

He added: ‘Together we will survive because we are Americans, which makes us resilient.’

Cosby declined to listen into his appeal hearings, which were conducted virtually and live-streamed.

According to Wyatt: ‘In actuality Mr Cosby prefers not to have access to listen to those court proceedings. He likes to call me so that I can give him a play-by-play of how things went and my overall analysis.’

Wyatt, who has been Cosby’s only regular visitor, revealed that since his incarceration Cosby has declined either a radio or television and has refused to allow his wife and family to visit him.

But speaking to DailyMail.com this week, he offered his thanks to his wife of 56 years, Camille, 76, his family and friends and the supporters who have stood by him.

He is more hopeful than ever that he will be reunited with the wife who has never wavered in her public support for him and has spoken out vehemently against all of his many accusers.

Attorneys for Cosby argued that it was thanks in part to the testimony of several of these women that the disgraced actor ‘never had a fair shot,’ in a trial that became a trial of his character rather than his specific encounters with Constand.

Wyatt said there has also been an outbreak of Covid-19 cases in the area in which Cosby is being held. For his part, Cosby revealed: 'As of now I have declined to take any showers and I have decided to take wash-ups in my cell. This is the best way for me to stay safe and healthy'

Wyatt said there has also been an outbreak of Covid-19 cases in the area in which Cosby is being held. For his part, Cosby revealed: ‘As of now I have declined to take any showers and I have decided to take wash-ups in my cell. This is the best way for me to stay safe and healthy’

Janice Dickinson

Chelan Lasha

The admission of the ‘prior bad acts’ witnesses – Janice Baker-Kinney, Janice Dickinson, Chelan Lasha, Lise-Lotte Lublin and Heidi Thomas – all of whom testified to alleged assaults dating back thirty years was crucial to the prosecution’s case. Pictured: Janice Dickinson (left) and Chelan Lasha (right)  

The Supreme Court reviewed two aspects of the disgraced actor’s case. The seven judges reviewed Montgomery County Judge Steven T O’Neill’s decision to let prosecutors call five other accusers to testify about long-ago encounters that never resulted in charges. 

And they reviewed his decision to allow the jury to hear damning testimony from two-decade old depositions in which Cosby admitted to giving women Quaaludes to facilitate sex.

Both of these issues have been at the heart of the prosecution’s case since Cosby was charged on three felony sexual assault counts in 2015.

Though speaking to DailyMail.com this week he offered his thanks to his wife of 56 years, Camille, 76, his family and friends and the supporters who have stood by him

Though speaking to DailyMail.com this week he offered his thanks to his wife of 56 years, Camille, 76, his family and friends and the supporters who have stood by him

The admission of the ‘prior bad acts’ witnesses – Janice Baker-Kinney, Janice Dickinson, Chelan Lasha, Lise-Lotte Lublin and Heidi Thomas – all of whom testified to alleged assaults dating back thirty years was crucial to the prosecution’s case.

Testimony relating to prior alleged crimes is only allowed in Pennsylvania if it demonstrates a signature pattern of abuse, but its inclusion is rare.

And Judge O’Neill has never explained why he allowed five women to testify in the second Cosby trial after allowing only one to do so at his first trial in 2017, though his change of heart came after a year in which the #MeToo movement exploded in the wake of allegations against Harvey Weinstein.

Similarly, the case against Cosby leaned heavily on the former actor and comedian’s own words in depositions given in 2005 and 2006 and quoted at length in court.

In these Cosby admitted to giving women Quaaludes when he wanted sex, claiming that it was as habitual and harmless as offering a glass of wine. He also admitted that he never took any himself as he wished to remain lucid.

Cosby’s legal team led by Michael Jackson’s lawyer, Thomas Mesereau and co-counsel Kathleen Bliss fought unsuccessfully to have the prior bad acts witnesses blocked and to have Cosby’s depositions struck from the record.

Cosby maintains that the depositions, which were given as part of a civil suit brought by Constand, were done on condition of an agreement made by Montgomery County’s then District Attorney, Bruce Castor that he would never face criminal charges.

The judges are expected to issue their ruling in the spring.


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button