Boko Haram massacre kills at least 43: Islamist militants behead and slit the throats of Nigerian rice farmers and fishermen – with dozens still missing after barbaric attack
- The workers were rounded up and slaughtered by the militants in Borno state
- Boko Haram has not claimed responsibility but is believed to be behind attack
- Villagers buried the dead on Sunday but dozens, including women, are missing
At least 43 rice farmers and fisherman have been brutally slaughtered and beheaded by suspected Islamist militants in Nigeria.
The workers had been tied up and had their throats slit in the horrific attack in Borno state, with up to 70 people feared dead.
The attack is believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility, and villagers buried the bodies of the victims on Sunday.
The bodies of 43 farm workers are seen during a funeral in Zabarmari, Nigeria, after they were killed by suspected Boko Haram fighters in rice fields near
Villagers in Borno buried the victims on Sunday while security forces hunted for the dozens still missing with up to 70 people feared dead
The attack is believed to have been carried out by Boko Haram although they are yet to claim responsibility
It was staged in a rice field in Garin Kwashebe, a community known for rice farming, on the day residents of the state were casting votes for the first time in 13 years to elect local government councils.
The farmers were reportedly rounded up and summarily killed by armed insurgents.
One resident and Amnesty International said 10 women were among those missing.
Malam Zabarmari, a leader of a rice farmers association in Borno state, said: ‘The farmers were attacked at the Garin-Kwashebe rice field in Zabarmari community, and according to reports reaching us since afternoon, about 40 of them were killed.’
It was staged in a rice field in Garin Kwashebe, a community known for rice farming, on the day residents of the state were casting votes for the first time in 13 years
The farmers were reportedly rounded up and summarily killed by armed insurgents with at least 30 people beheaded
Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari expressed grief over the killings.
‘I condemn the killing of our hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. My thoughts are with their families in this time of grief. May their souls rest in peace,’ he said in a statement.
Mr Buhari said the government had given all the needed support to the armed forces ‘to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory’.
A member of the House of Representatives, Ahmed Satomi, who represents the Jere Federal constituency of Borno, said: ‘Farmers and fishermen were killed in cold blood.
A huge crowd of mourners attended the funeral while dozens more are feared missing as security forces hunt for them
The federal legislator said the farmers were attacked because they had disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman on Friday who had been tormenting them
‘Over 60 farmers were affected, but we only have so far received 43 corpses from the farms and we are preparing for their burials today, Sunday by God’s grace.’
The federal legislator said the farmers were attacked because they had disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman on Friday who had been tormenting them.
‘A lone gunman, who was a member of Boko Haram, came to harass the farmers by ordering them to give him money and also cook for him.
‘While he was waiting for the food to be cooked, the farmers seized the moment he stepped into the toilet to snatch his rifle and tied him up,’ he said.
‘They later handed him over to the security. But sadly, the security forces did not protect the courageous farmer. And in reprisal for daring them, the Boko Haram mobilised and came to attack them on their farms.’
Insurgents also torched the rice farms before leaving, he said.