Chicago man, 35, locates his own stolen vehicle and chases down two 17-year-old boys driving it before a struggle leaves one teenager dead and the other seriously wounded
- A 35-year-old man tracked down two teenagers who allegedly stole his car
- The man reported his black Chevrolet sedan stolen on December 30, police said
- He located his car on Sunday and tracked it down, only to find the teens inside
- The 17 year olds fled from the man but they ran out of gas and had to pull over
- When they pulled over, the man confronted them and a struggled ensued
- Both teens were shot, one fatally, and the man suffered only minor injuries
- The surviving teen was rushed to a nearby hospital with serious injuries
- The 35-year-old man has not been named by authorities because he wasn’t immediately charged with a crime
Illinois police said a 35-year-old Chicago man tracked down two teenagers who allegedly stole his vehicle before confronting them in a park where the 17 year olds were shot, one fatally, during a struggle over the weekend.
According to a press release from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office, the man reported his black Chevrolet sedan stolen on December 30.
He managed to locate his vehicle around 2.45am Sunday morning in the area of Route 12 and Route 120 in Volo, Illinois.
When he found the vehicle, it was occupied by the two teenagers, who fled from him in the stolen vehicle.
Illinois police said a 35-year-old Chicago man tracked down two teenagers who allegedly stole his vehicle before confronting them in a park where the 17 year olds were shot, one fatally, during a struggle over the weekend
A short time later, the vehicle ran out of gas and the teens, of Carol Stream, pulled into a parking lot in the 30400 block of Route 12.
The man then confronted the teenagers and a struggle ensued.
‘During the struggle, one of the males produced a firearm and it was discharged multiple times,’ police said in a statement.
All three were injured during the struggle, but only the teens suffered gunshot wounds.
One of the teens was fatally struck by the gunfire and pronounced dead at the scene.
Authorities said they arrived to the scene around 3am after receiving reports of a possible fight in progress in Volo.
When deputies arrived to the scene, they located all three individuals, noting the 35-year-old sustained minor injuries and did not need medical treatment. He remained at the scene.
The other 17-year-old struck by the gunfire sustained serious injuries. That male was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
Authorities said they have no reason to believe any other individuals were involved in the incident.
The Lake County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene and an autopsy for the deceased teen is scheduled for Monday.
This incident remains under investigation by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division.
The 35-year-old man has not been publicly named by authorities because he wasn’t immediately charged with a crime.