US

Ex-National Security advisor John Bolton says Trump is LYING about ‘standing order’ on records

Trump’s ex-National Security advisor John Bolton says Trump is LYING and showing ‘desperation’ for claims he had a ‘standing order’ that all documents he took from the Oval Office would be declassified

  • Donald Trump’s ally John Solomon read a statement on Fox News last Friday that claimed the president was declassifying any documents he took from the Oval
  • John Bolton told the New York Times that it was ‘almost certainly a lie’
  • Bolton said he never heard of such an order before or after serving Trump
  • A week ago today, FBI agents conducted an unannounced search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in Florida related to National Archives documents
  • The unsealed warrant suggests Trump is being investigated for violations of the Espionage Act, though it does not go into much detail 

Donald Trump‘s former national security advisor John Bolton accused the ex-president of lying when he claimed Friday to have a ‘standing order’ that all documents taken from the White House while he was in office were to be declassified.

Bolton said the claim was ‘almost certainly a lie’ in a New York Times piece published on Sunday. 

‘When somebody begins to concoct lies like this, it shows a real level of desperation,’ he said.

It comes about a week after Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was targeted in an unannounced search by FBI agents who took a trove of documents sought by the National Archives and Records Administration.

The warrant, which was unsealed on Friday, suggests the former president took top secret documents and may have violated the Espionage Act.

Trump has offered multiple rebuttals, from claiming he was cooperating with investigators to insisting the ‘raid’ was a political ‘witch hunt.’

On Friday, ex-Fox News contributor John Solomon – who is representing Trump with the National Archives, according to the Times – read a statement claiming the documents were declassified already.

‘As we can all relate to, everyone ends up having to bring home their work from time to time. American presidents are no different,’ Solomon read. 

Former Trump National Security advisor John Bolton said the ex-president’s ‘standing order’ declassifying documents is ‘almost certainly a lie’

‘President Trump in order to prepare the work the next day often took documents including classified documents to the residence. He had a standing order that documents removed from the Oval Office and taken to the residence were deemed to be declassified the moment he removed them.’

But Bolton told the Times he never heard such an order during or after serving in the Trump administration from April 2018 into September 2019.

Trump has maintained that he is the victim of political persecution, though he's also previously said he is cooperating with federal investigators

Trump has maintained that he is the victim of political persecution, though he’s also previously said he is cooperating with federal investigators

‘I was never briefed on any such order, procedure, policy when I came in,’ Bolton said.

‘If he were to say something like that, you would have to memorialize that, so that people would know it existed.’

The former national security official added that Trump had secure facilities installed in his New Jersey and Florida residences so that documents that needed to be brought on his travels did not have to be declassified.

Trump’s claim to have declassified all of the documents comes after it was revealed his lawyers told investigators in June that all of the top secret records the ex-president took to Mar-a-Lago were back in the National Archives’ possession.

Officials from the National Archives traveled to Mar-a-Lago in January to retrieve 15 boxes of files that were to be left at the White House when Trump left office roughly 12 months before.

The Archives later confirmed the Washington Post’s report that some of the records were labeled ‘top secret.’

Trump’s latest explanation appears to be undercut by prior comments from his lawyer, One America News host Christina Bobb, in an interview she gave the day after the raid.

Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was targeted in an unannounced FBI search last Monday

Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida was targeted in an unannounced FBI search last Monday

She admitted there could be some files recovered labeled ‘classified secret’ but hastily added she believes they would have ‘no significant meaning’ in comments to the Trump-friendly Right Side Broadcasting Network.

In the days since the FBI’s operation, Trump’s allies and supporters have heaped verbal attacks on federal law enforcement and insisted Attorney General Merrick Garland is weaponizing the Justice Department against President Joe Biden’s political rival.

On Sunday the FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a joint bulletin warning of an ‘increase in violent threats’ made online against officers, including a threat to place a so-called dirty bomb in front of FBI Headquarters and issuing general calls for ‘civil war’ and ‘armed rebellion.”

It said the FBI and DHS have ‘identified multiple articulated threats and calls for the targeted killing of judicial, law enforcement, and government officials associated with the Palm Beach search, including the federal judge who approved the Palm Beach search warrant.’

It also highlights an incident last week when an armed Navy veteran tried to force his way into the FBI’s Cincinnati office and was shot dead in a standoff with police.

Advertisement




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button