Fears grow for missing Florida mom, 36, who vanished after boarding bus on July 8 with her pet rabbit: Family say she acted strangely in run-up to disappearance and missed appointment to see her children
- Erica Johnson, 36, was last seen boarding a bus in Fort Myers bound for Tampa on July 8
- Her family reported her missing on July 14 after she failed to show up for her shift as a housekeeper at the Best Western in Fort Myers Beach
- The hunt for Johnson is hampered by her having no bank accounts or vehicle; rarely using a phone; and having no active social media accounts
- In June her ex-husband was concerned when she cancelled her regular appointment to see their children
- Around July 4 she dyed her blond hair brown and cut it short, and was seen at her rented home arriving with a large black suitcase
- Johnson’s mother said: ‘Erica is loved and missed by her family and friends who are devastated by her disappearance’
Erica Johnson, 36, was last seen on July 8 in Fort Myers, Florida
Concerns are growing for a Florida mother described by her family as behaving erratically before boarding a bus on July 8 with her pet rabbit and vanishing.
Detectives said that efforts to track down Erica Johnson, 36, have been hampered by the fact that she does not have a bank account or vehicle, rarely uses a phone, and does not have any active social media accounts.
‘Johnson was missing, but it was upgraded to ‘missing endangered’ after an additional investigation,’ said Brandon Sancho of Cape Coral police.
‘No signs of foul play. She lives a different lifestyle where she has no phone, no vehicle, and no bank account.
‘Investigators believe she left by bus and are currently working with LeeTran.’
The bus she boarded in Fort Myers was bound for Tampa, with no stops en route. Security footage shows Johnson boarding a Greyhound bus with a suitcase, travel pillow and her pet at 5:20am for the 120-mile journey.
It is unclear why there is no footage of her leaving the bus in Tampa.
Johnson was last seen in this image, on July 8 at 5:21am in Fort Myers, boarding a bus to Tampa
Johnson was also seen at the same bus station in Fort Myers on July 5 at 5:37pm
Her family raised the alarm on July 14, after she failed to show up for her housekeeping shift at the Best Western Plus Beach Resort in Fort Myers Beach.
Johnson dyed her blond hair brown around July 4
Police searched the room she was renting inside an office complex in downtown Cape Coral and found all of her belongings, except the missing pet rabbit.
Investigators were told someone saw Johnson go into the building a week before with a black suitcase.
Johnson, originally from the St Louis area, first caused concern when in June she failed to show up for an agreed appointment to see the children she shares with her ex-husband.
She then changed her blond hair color, dying it brunette and cutting it short.
Johnson, who regularly used public transport, was seen at the Fort Myers bus station three days before she took the final bus.
Johnson’s mother said the family was shocked at her vanishing.
‘Erica is loved and missed by her family and friends who are devastated by her disappearance,’ she told Wink News.
‘We remain hopeful that she will be found safe very soon.
‘If you have seen her, or have any information on her whereabouts, please contact the Cape Coral Police Department.’
Johnson, originally from the St Louis area, worked as a housekeeper at the Best Western hotel in Fort Myers Beach
She was renting a room inside this office building, where she lived with her pet rabbit