Florida woman, 41, who ‘shot dead a man, 39, she wrongly believed had stolen from her is charged with murder
- Jennifer Hill, 41, is charged with second-degree murder after shooting dead Michael Hofacker, 39, at around 7.30pm on Saturday night
- She had driven up to Hofacker as he walked in Ocala, Florida, with a female friend and demanded to know what his name was
- Hill shot him above his right eye after he answered ‘Mikey’
- When she emerged from the car, Hill realized he was not the person she had been looking for and admitted the crime to deputies
- Hill claims she believed Hofacker to be a man also named ‘Michael’ who had threatened her and her husband at gunpoint three days earlier
- Deputies say she also falsely claimed Hofacker was carrying a gun
Jennifer Hill, 41, is charged with second-degree murder after shooting dead Michael Hofacker, 39, at around 7.30pm on Saturday night
A woman in Florida is charged with murder after shooting dead a man she accused of stealing from her before realizing it was the wrong person.
Jennifer Hill, 41, was arrested at around 7.30pm on Saturday after shooting Michael Hofacker, 39, in the face as he walked along the side of the road in Ocala with another woman.
Hofacker was transported to Ocala Regional Medical Center for treatment after the shooting but died from his injuries the next day.
Deputies from Marion County Sheriff’s Office arrived to the scene where eye witnesses said they had seen Hill shoot the victim.
According to deputies, Hill had pulled up alongside Hofacker on the road in a white vehicle and the victim approached the car to ask why they had stopped.
Hill demanded to know Hofacker’s name, according to CBS 4, and she proceeded to take out a pistol and shoot him just above the right eye when he answered ‘Mikey’.
Hill also admitted the crime to deputies.
However, she claimed she thought the man she shot was named Michael Beach, who she alleged had previously broken into her home and threatened her.
Hill said she didn’t know her mistake until afterward when she stepped out of the car and realized that she did not know the victim.
At that point she threw down the pistol and began to pace as she shouted for someone to call 911.
Her husband told detectives that he and Hill had been the victim of an armed altercation thee days earlier and the person of interest in that case was called ‘Michael’, states the Ocala Star Banner.
Jennifer Hill, 41, claims that she did not realize she shot the wrong man until afterward
Michael Hofacker, 39, was walking along the road in Ocala with a friend when Hill came up to him in a white car, demanded to know if name and pulled a pistol when he answered ‘Mikey’
According to the sheriff’s office, Hill made ‘a statement that was inconsistent with the eyewitness accounts and evidence collected’ yet maintained that she had shot Hofacker.
WCJB reports that Hill claimed to the cops that the victim had a gun and had been threatening her but detectives found no weapon.
He was carrying a backpack, a Styrofoam cup, a fishing pole and flashlight at the time of his death.
Hill is being held at the Marion County Jail with no bond.
She has been charged with second-degree murder without premeditation.