Hugh Jackman has joined a chorus of figures in the entertainment industry who have spoken out against the producer Scott Rudin for his allegedly abusive behavior on set.
Jackman, 52, said in a statement on Wednesday that Rudin, 62, was the most important voice left to be heard, and ‘he has now spoken up and stepped away from the Music Man.’
The X-Men star’s statement was released just days after his Music Man costar Sutton Foster called Rudin’s recent decision to ‘step back’ from the production ‘the only positive outcome.’
Speaking up: Hugh Jackman, 52, issued a statement on Wednesday applauding those who spoke out against disgraced producer Scott Rudin and vowing to rebuild his team on the upcoming Music Man production on Broadway; seen in March 2020 in NYC
Although Jackman was on the same page in agreeing with Foster that Rudin had to go, he didn’t condemn the allegedly abusive film, television and Broadway producer.
He also steered clear of mention any of the widely shared stories of Rudin’s alleged bullying and workplace abuse.
‘I want to say how much I respect and applaud the people that have spoken up about their experience working with Scott Rudin,’ Jackman wrote. ‘It takes an enormous amount of courage and strength to stand up and state your truth.’
‘This has started a conversation that is long overdue, not just on Broadway, and the entertainment industry, but across all workforce. The most important voice we needed to hear from was Scott Rudin, he has now spoken up and stepped away from the Music Man,’ he continued.
Speaking out: ‘I want to say how much I respect and applaud the people that have spoken up about their experience working with Scott Rudin,’ Jackman said of those who accused Rudin of bullying; Rudin seen in 2011 in Beverly Hills
Changes: He said the show aspires ‘to create an environment that is not only safe, but ensures that everyone is seen, heard and valued’; seen in 2019 in London
‘I hope and pray this is a journey of healing for all the victims and the community. We are currently rebuilding the Music Man team and are aspiring to create an environment that is not only safe, but ensures that everyone is seen, heard and valued. This is something that is and has always been very important to me.’
Jackman was originally set to begin his run in The Music Man in September of last year, but the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has pushed the premiere date back multiple times since then.
The production is currently slated to begin previews in December, with the official opening on February 10, 2022.
On Monday, Foster appeared in an Instagram Live video and apologized for waiting to speak out about Rudin’s alleged conduct.
‘It’s an unbelievably unfortunate situation but the only positive outcome is the one that’s happening and I know Hugh feels exactly the same way,’ she said.
The production is currently slated to begin previews in December, with the official opening on February 10, 2022
Speaking out: On Monday, his costar Sutton Foster appeared in an Instagram Live video and apologized for waiting to speak out about Rudin’s alleged conduct, though she defending not responding amid the initial social media uproar
Taking a stand: Foster planned to quit The Music Man if Rudin didn’t leave the production, a source told The Hollywood Reporter. However, another source said Jackman had made no such ultimatum; still from Younger
Foster even planned to quit The Music Man if Rudin didn’t leave the production, a source told The Hollywood Reporter.
However, another source said that Jackman had made no such ultimatum.
Following an April 7 exposé in The Hollywood Reporter on Rudin featuring his former employees sharing details about his supposedly abusive and violent behavior, the superproducer announced on April 17 that he was stepping back from ‘active participation’ on all his Broadway productions.
The detail-free language left many theater insiders wondering what that would look like in practice, and if Rudin would still stand to benefit financially from the productions.
On Tuesday, Rudin announced that he was also stepping back from his film and television productions.
Opening up: An exposé in The Hollywood Reporter quoted former Rudin staffers who claim he was abusive and had a reputation for throwing objects, including a glass bowl and baked potato; seen in 2014
Bloody: The producer allegedly sent an employee to the hospital after smashing a computer monitor on his hand; seen with (L-R) Ethan and Joel Coen in 2008
Among the allegations was a seeming pattern of Rudin throwing objects at his staffers, including a glass bowl and a baked potato.
Two employees reportedly had to go to the hospital as a result of his outbursts. Rudin allegedly slammed an Apple computer monitor on one staffer’s hand, which cut them due to the broken glass from the shattered screen.
Another staffer had to go to the hospital due to workplace stress issues.
Rudin’s behavior appears to have been an open secret in the entertainment industry, and reports of abusive and violent behavior have appeared for years, though Rudin’s position in the industry was undiminished until the latest exposé was published.
Rudin’s behavior appears to have been an open secret, and reports of abusive behavior have appeared for years, though his position in the industry was undiminished; seen with convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein in 2002