Is it ok to have sex on the first date? Therapist says it can be beneficial for the relationship
Why sex on the first date is a good idea: Relationship expert slams ‘old fashioned’ mentality and urges singles to get it on right away
- A relationship expert says it can be beneficial to have sex on the first date
- Rachel wright is a sex, relationship and mental health therapist
- She said having sex right away can quickly determine if couple is compatible
- Men were more likely than women to hook up on a first date
A relationship expert has defended people having sex on a first date, with almost half of Aussies admitting to doing the deed straight away.
Relationship, sex, and mental health therapist Rachel Wright, from New York, said there is no ‘right time’ to have sex with a new partner and going for it on the first date can quickly determine if you want to continue the relationship.
According to a study, 49 per cent of participants said they have slept with someone on the first date, with those who don’t saying they prefer to establish an emotional connection before getting into bed.
Relationship expert Rachel Wright said there are benefits to having sex on the first date as a new study found almost half of the participants said they have the deed right away
Rachel defines sex as any ‘meaningful experience of pleasure’ and said old-fashioned ideals can create shame for those who want to get intimate on the first meeting.
‘Sex on the first date can be beneficial… if you want to have sex on the first date. Here’s the thing – there is no “right time” to have sex,’ she said.
‘The concepts of “don’t give away the milk for free” and “they won’t like me anymore if I give it up too quickly” are old and antiquated and can create so much shame for people of all genders.’
Top five reasons people have sex on the first date
- ‘I enjoy it’ – 53 per cent
- ‘You can see if you’re sexually compatible straight away’ – 46 per cent
- ‘I feel like it makes you connect on a sexual level quicker’ – 26 per cent
- ‘ I like seeing if they accept my kinks before getting emotionally involved’ – 20 per cent
- ‘It calms my nerves’ – 16 per cent
Source: Love Honey
Top five reasons people don’t have sex on the first date
- ‘I don’t feel comfortable having sex with someone I don’t know very well’ – 47 per cent
- ‘I don’t believe in having sex on the first date’ – 38 per cent
- ‘I only enjoy sex with people I have an emotional connection with’ – 32 per cent
- ‘I have a rule about not sleeping with someone on the first date’ – 25 per cent
- ‘I’m conscious of STIs and pregnancy’ – 17 per cent
The relationship expert said for some people having sex right away is helpful in determining if they want to go on a second date.
She added for others it feels entirely out of reach because they need to have an established emotional connection with the person before they can have sex.
‘Wherever you fall on this spectrum is perfectly okay, and it’s encouraged to talk to the person you’re going out with about it,’ she said.
A study conducted by adult store Love Honey found almost one in two people admit to having sex on the first date.
49 per cent of those in the study said they have slept with someone on the first date but those who refrain say they prefer to establish an emotional connection before getting into bed
The research showed men are more keen to hook up straight away with just under 60 per cent confessing to have done so.
However, women were more reserved with 43 per cent of the female participants saying they have jumped into bed with someone on date number one compared to 42 per cent saying they haven’t.
Millennials and Gen-Xers were found to be more promiscuous than their Gen Z or boomer counterparts.
Those aged between 18-24 and over 55 years old were the least likely to sleep with someone on the first date with only 31 per cent and 42 per cent saying they have previously respectively.
Rachel said it’s important for people to be honest with themselves and the person they’re meeting up with for the first time about your expectations.
‘If you’ve been texting for two days before the date, perhaps it may not come up,’ she said.
‘But if you have been texting for two months and trying to schedule a date and it’s finally happening, you may have already discussed sex.’