A man who claims he worked for Zappos founder Tony Hsieh is suing his estate for $12.5million citing a scribbled post-it note as a ‘contract’ which he says proves he is entitled to the money.
Hsieh died aged 46 in November last year in a shed at the Connecticut home of a friend. He’d been abusing drugs, barely eating and was sleep deprived at the time.
Since then, his $840million estate has been hit with a claim from his long-time friend Jennifer ‘Mimi’ Pham. She is seeking $90 million.
On Tuesday, Mark Evensvold filed his own claim for $12.5million.
He says Hsieh promised him the money as payment for working at his homes, including in Park City Utah, where Evensvold says he was tasked with building treehouses. He claims Hsieh promised him a $450,000 salary.
The post-it note is a transcript, he says, of a conversation they had ‘on the beach’ about what kind of work he would do for him. It is barely legible but was dated August 19, 2020.
On Tuesday, Mark Evensvold filed his own claim for $12.5million and the post-it note he says is a transcript of a conversation they had where they discussed their contract in Auguast 2019
Mark Evensvold filed a claim for $12.5million in Nevada. He says he and Hsieh (left) discussed him being given a $450k salary
Evensvold filed a 10-page petition in probate court in Nevada, where Hsieh’s brother and father have been given control of his estate.
They are now trying to sell his vast portfolio of real estate.
Evensvold claimed in his filing that he is owed money after being promised a salary by Hsieh to operate bars and security for him.
They were also in business together on a business called Nacho Daddy.
Hsieh’s estate is already being sued by Pham for $90million.
Pham, the 46-year-old tech tycoon’s former assistant, claims she deserves the bumper sum due to her involvement in a series of lucrative business deals.
The largest claim by far, $75million, represents ‘the anticipated profit’ from Hsieh’s new venture in the documentary-movie streaming business.
Jennifer ‘Mimi’ Pham, the 46-year-old tech mogul’s former assistant, claims she is owned the bumper sum due to her involvement in a series of business deals
The second-biggest claim, $7.5m, is ‘the anticipated profit’ from the Big Moose Yacht Club in Park City.
Pham has filed a pair of lawsuits against the estate of Hsieh, who died in November after a fire in New London, Connecticut.
In the latest claim, filed last month in Nevada, Pham claimed that Hsieh had asked her to work on a new venture with his documentary movie company, Pickled Entertainment, LLC.
The duo agreed a contract on Aug. 26, 2020, in which Pham, through her company, Mr. Taken, LLC, would ‘provide to [Hsieh’s] Company certain management and administrative support services,’ according to court papers.
Richard and Andrew Hsieh say the contract was suspended on January 28.
Pham also claims Hsieh hired her to oversee the Big Moose Yacht Club, the entrepreneur’s upmarket hotel in Park City, Utah.
Hsieh was staying at the home of a friend, Rachael Brown, and had gotten into an argument with her the night of the fire about the cleanliness of the house, another friend said
Hsieh died on Nov. 27, 2020, nine days after a fire broke out at house in New London, Connecticut, where he was staying with friends. Pictured is the shed where he died
She claims she would manage space rentals at the site and at one point helped secure a business licence from the city.
Pham’s earlier suit, filed on January 20, claimed she was owed hundreds of thousands of dollars for her involvement in another venture.
Her lawyers described their client as Hsieh’s ‘assistant, right hand person, and friend for 17 years before his death’.
Hsieh died on Nov. 27, 2020, nine days after a fire broke out at house in New London, Connecticut, where he was staying with friends.
Hsieh was surrounded by lit candles, a propane heater, Whip-It nitrous oxide chargers, a whipped cream dispenser, a marijuana pipe, and bottles of alcohol when a fire ripped through a locked shed where he slept.
The latest findings in the two-month investigation were revealed in January on the same day that police body cam footage showed firefighters evacuate Hsieh from the scene of the blaze and rush him to a local hospital.
Fire crews responded to the scene after the blaze tore through a locked shed in which Hsieh slept in the early morning.
The New London, Connecticut fire marshal said that the cause of the fire which tore through the shed at his girlfriend’s home was inconclusive, though his report left open several possibilities.
Investigators believe the fire was caused either by a portable propane heater; discarded cigarettes and marijuana; ‘misuse of candles’; or ‘carelessness or even an intentional act by Hsieh could have started this fire.’
Hsieh died from complications of smoke inhalation, the state chief medical examiner’s ruled.