New York teacher, 31, at an all-girls ‘leadership school’ is arrested for ‘flying to Florida to have sex with a teenage girl he met online’
- Zeshaan Naqvi, 31, was arrested in Tampa, Florida, on Saturday for allegedly having sex with an underage girl he groomed online for three months
- Naqvi teaches social studies at the all-girls Young Women’s Leadership middle school in Queens, New York
- He flew to Florida last week and allegedly had sex with his victim in a local hotel before being apprehended by officers 24-hours later
- He was held on a $60,000 bond on charges usually relating to 16-17-year-olds
- It is illegal in Florida for anyone aged 24 or older to have sex with a person under the age of 18-years-old
- Hillsborough County sheriffs issued ‘a grim warning to parents to monitor their child’s online activity’
- Naqvi has worked for the New York City school system since 2014
- New York education department suspended the teacher and called the allegations ‘disturbing’
Zeshaan Naqvi, 31, a New York City middle school teacher, flew to Florida last week to have sex with a teenage girl he met online. He was arrested on Saturday, Florida authorities said.
A New York teacher has been arrested after flying to Florida to have sex with an underage girl he met online.
Zeshaan Naqvi, 31, teaches social studies at the all-girls Young Women’s Leadership middle school in Jamaica, Queens.
Last week he flew to Tampa after allegedly grooming his victim online for around three months, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.
He picked the teenager up at her home and took her to a hotel where he engaged in illegal, sexual acts with a minor, the sheriff’s office said in a statement.
Officers arrested Naqvi at the hotel the next day where he allegedly admitted knowing his victim was underage.
He has been held on a $60,000 bond.
Sheriff Chad Chronister, said in a statement: ‘It never ceases to amaze us the lengths predators will go to, to get what they want’, as reported by New York Daily News.
He added: ‘In this case, a middle school history teacher booked a ticket, boarded a plane, and traveled across the country to meet with a minor who he had been chatting with for about three months. This behavior is deeply disturbing and serves as a grim warning to parents to monitor their child’s online activity.’
Naqvi taught social studies at The Young Women’s Leadership School in Queens, New York. He had been a teacher in the New York Public School system since 2014. The department suspended him and called the allegations ‘disturbing’
Naqvi has worked for the New York City school system since 2014.
Danielle Filson, a spokeswoman for New York’s education department, said: ‘These allegations are extremely disturbing, and we have zero tolerance for this behavior.’
She added: ‘The teacher was immediately reassigned from his current position pending the outcome of the criminal investigation.’
The victim’s age was not released by the office, who cited a recently passed victim’s rights law.
In Florida it is illegal for any adult aged 24 or older to have sex with an individual under the age of 18-years-old.
The charges that Naqvi faces usually apply to victims aged between 16-17-years-old.