A repeat offender from the Bronx stabbed a California tourist in the stomach Friday night in Midtown Manhattan after the victim confronted the attacker for throwing a pack of strawberries at him.
Adan Moreno allegedly threw the fruit towards a 29-year-old man from Los Angeles as he walked with his brother, girlfriend and two young kids on West 38th Street towards Broadway around 9.40pm.
‘You better get the f*** out of here. I’ll kill you,’ Moreno, 29, said as he chased the victim before stabbing him in the stomach, according to the New York Post.
The victim was taken to Bellevue Hospital and his injuries were not life-threatening.
Meanwhile, multiple witnesses led cops to Moreno and he was quickly arrested. Cops also recovered the knife at the scene, as reported by the NY Post.
Adan Moreno, a 29-year-old repeat offender from the Bronx, stabbed a California tourist in the stomach Friday night in Midtown Manhattan after the victim confronted the attacker for throwing a pack of strawberries at him
Moreno allegedly threw the fruit towards a 29-year-old man from Los Angeles as he walked with his brother, girlfriend and two young kids on West 38th Street towards Broadway around 9.40pm
Police charged the Moreno with second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon, plus two counts of acting in a manner injurious to a child less than 17 and five counts of menacing.
But this wasn’t Moreno’s first run-in with the law. On August 7 he was arrested for punching a 44-year-old man in the face on the corner of Hooper Street and Broadway in Williamsburg.
Nearly two weeks later on August 17 he was arrested again on Union Square East near East 15th Street in Manhattan for punching a 49-year-old in the face, according to NY Post.
Both victims suffered minor injuries but the details of each incident were not immediately available.
The stabbing comes just after New York Mayor Bill de Blasio’s announcement at a press conference last week that the city has experienced one of the safest Augusts on record.
At a press conference last week New York mayor Bill de Blasio released last month’s citywide crime statistics where he crowed that crime in August 2021 dropped 5.4 per cent compared to the same time last year
Despite an overall decrease in crime felony assaults saw a 5.5 per cent increase
De Blasio released last month’s citywide crime statistics where he crowed that crime in August 2021 dropped 5.4 per cent compared to the same time last year, despite the fact that felony assaults saw a 5.5 per cent increase.
‘We got a lot more to go, let me be clear,’ De Blasio said at the press conference. ‘One crime is one crime too many for all of us and we have big challenges ahead, particularly in the Bronx,’ he added.
He also noted that citywide, ‘murder is down nearly nine per cent’ and shooting incidents have decreased by 3.7 per cent overall.
But terrifying photo and video evidence of serious crime shared by the NYPD have served as evidence that the Big Apple can still be a very dangerous place.
Earlier this week, dramatic video footage captured the moment two armed gunmen ambushed a 25-year-old man leaving a New York gambling den with a wad of cash in his hand.
According to authorities, the unnamed man left the illegal gambling hotspot in Washington Heights while holding an undisclosed amount of money when two masked men hopped out of a black Chevy Tahoe and opened fire around 7am.
The victim and a friend were chased up Amsterdam Avenue before several rounds were fired at them.
The man was shot in the leg and shoulder and was eventually able to escape the gunman, although police haven’t said if his winnings were stolen. DailyMail.com has contacted the NYPD for further information.
Earlier this week two armed gunmen ambushed a 25-year-old man leaving a New York gambling den with a wad of cash in his hand
The NYPD released video footage of the ambush as one of the gunman (pictured) chases the man and a friend up Amsterdam Avenue before firing several rounds at them, shooting the man with the cash in the leg and shoulder
He was taken to Harlem Hospital where he was listed in stable condition, according to authorities. It is unclear if he will face any charges over visiting the gambling den.
After the shooting the gunman returned to the black SUV alongside his accomplice and the two men fled the scene before police could arrive.
Police described the shooter as heavyset with a medium complexion, and was last seen wearing a Champion hoodie sweatshirt along with a black mask, black sneakers and black pants.
The second suspect, who police say was armed but did not open fire, was said to have a medium build and was seen on video wearing a black mask, black hoodie, black sneakers and black pants similar to the gunman.
Police are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying the two suspects, as no arrests have been made. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.