Parents have demanded that a Virginia superintendent and school board resign after accusing them of lying to cover up an alleged sexual assault in order to push their pro-transgender policies.
At a Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) board meeting on Tuesday enraged parents cited an email that surfaced last week where Superintendent Scott Ziegler reported an alleged sexual assault in the girls’ bathroom.
The email, which was sent on May 28, 2021, contradicted a statement Ziegler made the month before when he publicly said that he had no record of bathroom assaults.
At a Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) board meeting on Tuesday enraged parents cited an email that surfaced last week where Superintendent Scott Ziegler (pictured) reported an alleged sexual assault in the girls’ bathroom. They were infuriated because just a month earlier he publicly said that he had no record of bathroom assaults
Parents stood outside the meeting holding placards that read: ‘Protect girls not gender’ and’ ‘women and girls are not collateral damage’
Parents referenced LCPS’s pro-transgender policy 8040, which allows students ‘to use the facility that corresponds to their consistently asserted gender identity’
Parents also stood outside the meeting holding placards that read: ‘Protect girls not gender’ and’ ‘women and girls are not collateral damage.’
Another said: ‘Scott Ziegler knew about transgender-related crime but he lied anyway…Resign now!’
The superintendent wrote in the five-month-old email: ‘The purpose of this email is to provide you with information regarding an incident that occurred at Stone Bridge HS. This afternoon a female student alleged that a male student sexually assaulter her in the restroom.’
Yet at a meeting on June 22 Ziegler said that to his knowledge, ‘we don’t have any record of assaults occurring in our restrooms’.
Grandmother of LCPS students Carrie Michon claimed that the contradicting statements were a cover-up to bury the sexual assault investigation and ‘protect your precious 8040 policy’.
The policy she referenced is the school’s pro-transgender policy, which states that the school district ‘shall allow gender-expansive or transgender students to use their chosen name and gender pronouns that reflect their consistently asserted gender identity without any substantiating evidence, regardless of the name and gender recorded in the student’s permanent educational record’.
The policy also allows students ‘to use the facility that corresponds to their consistently asserted gender identity’.
‘While some transgender students will want that access, others may want alternatives that afford more privacy. Taking into account existing school facilities, administrators should take steps to designate gender-inclusive or single-user restrooms commensurate with the size of the school,’ it added.
On Monday a Loudoun County judge found the boy ‘in a skirt’ guilty of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old female classmate in the girls’ bathroom. Juvenile court judge Pamela Brooks agreed with the charges – forcible sodomy and forcible fellatio – which is the juvenile court equivalent of a conviction.
It remains unclear if the boy is transgender and if that is how he was allowed into the bathrooms that day.
Superintendent Ziegler claimed on June 22 that he’d received ‘no report’ of a sexual assault in the school bathrooms. But on May 28, the day it happened, he sent this email to colleagues confirming that it had been reported. ‘This afternoon, a female student alleged that a male student sexually assaulted her in the restroom,’ it read
Scott Smith, the victim’s father, was pictured with a bloody mouth, being dragged out of a school board meeting on June 22 – a month after the attack – after listening to school officials say no one had been sexually assaulted in the bathrooms when that’s what his daughter had reported the previous month
The victim’s parents were ridiculed by the left after her father Scott Smith was pictured being dragged out of a school board meeting on June 22. They say they now feel vindicated
The boy, who has not been named because he is a minor, will return to court on November 15 for sentencing. He has also been charged with sexually assaulting another girl at a different school in the same Virginia school district in October.
He was allowed to use the girls’ restroom because of policy 8040, which the victim’s parents had been shamed for protesting against after the incident.
The teenage girl’s father Scott Smith was dragged out of the June 22 meeting where Ziegler claimed they’d received no reports of sexual assaults.
At the school’s most recent meeting parents seemed to have decided to no longer shun Smith and instead support his protests against the school board’s pro-transgender bathroom rules.
Michon demanded: ‘Every last one of you, resign!’
‘A girl was sexually assaulted in May and you all knew about it. The predator was put back in schools to sexually assault another girl. You all should be fired,’ Menders added.
Mother Erin Dunbar declared: ‘Fire Scott Ziegler for his gross negligence, and if you haven’t hired an attorney yet, I recommend you all find one.’
Another parent Erin Smith asked: ‘Did any of you even respond to this email on May 28 from Dr Ziegler? Was that email alarming to anyone?’
‘You just had hundreds of Loudoun County students walk out in protest because they feel unsafe in schools,’ she added, citing Tuesday’s protest where students walked out of their classrooms in a show of ‘solidarity’ for the victim.
A flyer for the walk out told students to wear white and leave their classrooms for 10 minutes. Some stood in front of their school, chanting: ‘Loudoun County Protects Rapists!’
The school board’s chair Brenda Sheridan (pictured) suggested that parent complaints are focused on the gubernatorial elections taking place on November 2
The girl’s parents said they felt ‘relieved’ after but are demanding an apology from the National School Board Association (NSBA) for its characterization of parents who angrily protest woke school policies as domestic terrorists.
The NSBA has apologized for threatening to mobilize the FBI to prosecute parents after being asked to do so by the country’s increasingly liberal public school system.
But Smith says they haven’t gone far enough and is threatening to sue the NSBA for defamation unless it apologizes directly to him.
The angered mother Erin Smith also called out the school board’s chair Brenda Sheridan, who suggested that parent complaints are focused on the gubernatorial elections taking place on November 2, according to Fox.
‘We’re not here to impact elections, Branda,’ she said, adding: ‘Get comfy because we are not going away.’
Students walked out of Loudoun County’s schools on Tuesday in protest against the county’s handling of a rape allegation after a judge found the boy accused guilty
Some stood in front of their school, chanting: ‘Loudoun County Protects Rapists!’
students walked out of their classrooms in a show of ‘solidarity’ for the victim of the sexual assault that took place in the girls’ bathroom back in May
A flyer for the coordinated protest asked that students and teachers wear white and walk out of their classrooms for 10 minutes
Even more parents chimed in as Alicia Brand said: ‘We demand the resignation of Scott Ziegler.’
‘LCPS protects rapists,’ mother Amanda Shallot claimed. She also alleged that the school board ‘covered up the assault (and) Ziegler lied about it’.
Shallot added: ‘I call for immediate resignations of Dr. Ziegler and any of you that had knowledge of the rape this spring.’
According to Fox, a father of two girls in the district said his daughters told him they would rather ‘hold it’ than go to the bathroom alone at school.
Ziegler addressed his differing statements on October 15 and said that he ‘wrongly interpreted’ a question ‘about discipline incidents in bathroom’ during the June meeting because he was too focused on the controversy surrounding policy 8040.
Meanwhile, the school board has completely denied accusations that they’ve covered up the sexual assault and Ziegler – who has yet to resign – instead apologized for ‘misleading’ them.
‘I regret that my comments were misleading and I apologize for the distress they caused families,’ he said.
‘To the families and students involved, my heart aches for you. I am sorry that we failed to provide the safe, welcoming and affirming environment that we aspire to provide.
‘We acknowledge and share in your pain and we will continue to offer you support to help your families through this trauma,’ he added.
Ziegler’s apology came as board member Beth Barts resigned.