US

Pompeo’s wife ‘tested positive for COVID’ after the couple came under fire for holiday parties

Mike Pompeo’s wife ‘tested positive for the coronavirus’ earlier this month after the couple came under fire for holding parties at the State Department as cases spiked nationwide

  • Secretary of State Michael Pompeo’s wife, Susan, tested positive for COVID-19 after they came under fire for holding parties at State Department, source says 
  • Susan contracted COVID-19 just before Pompeo announced on December 16 that he was going into quarantine after he was exposed to the virus  
  • Officials never identified who had exposed the secretary of state to the virus and Pompeo has since tested negative for COVID-19
  • It’s also not clear how Susan became infected with the virus that has now spread to more than 18.5 million Americans and killed at least 327,853 people in the US

Mike Pompeo‘s wife reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus earlier this month when they came under fire for holding parties at the State Department as the nation grappled with a spike in COVID-19 cases. 

A source familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that Pompeo’s wife, Susan, contracted the virus just before her husband announced on December 16 that he was going into quarantine after being exposed to the virus. 

Officials never identified who had exposed the secretary of state to the virus, but said Pompeo tested negative. 

Mike Pompeo’s wife reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus earlier this month when they came under fire for holding parties at the State Department as the nation grappled with a spike in COVID-19 cases

Pompeo and his wife were criticized earlier this month for hosting holiday parties despite the spike in COVID-19 cases nationwide

Pompeo and his wife were criticized earlier this month for hosting holiday parties despite the spike in COVID-19 cases nationwide 

It’s also not clear how Susan became infected with the virus that has now spread to more than 18.5 million Americans and killed at least 327,853 people in the US.

Also on December 16, the State Department announced the cancellations of the secretary’s holiday parties for the season. 

The day before, Pompeo was supposed to attend an indoor Christmas party where fewer than 70 people showed up for the event despite Pompeo inviting 900 people. 

The event, hosted by Pompeo and Susan at the State Department, was avoided by the majority of invitees after the celebrations prompted an outcry from public health officials.

Pompeo didn’t attend his own party after it was revealed that he was exposed to the virus.  

Current restrictions in Washington, DC, limits indoor gatherings to fewer than 10 people amid the rising number of coronavirus cases.

Public health officials and lawmakers warned that the party could be a ‘superspreader event’, two US officials told The Washington Post last week. About 70 people sent an RSVP for the event but even fewer attended as a result.

Two invitees said the celebration put the guests as well as staff at risk of contracting coronavirus.

Pompeo, who was supposed to speak at the celebration, cancelled his speech, the officials said. He instead brought in a substitute speaker.

The party was for the family members of diplomats serving overseas who stay at home whilst their loved ones are posted abroad.

A Santa wearing a face mask was at the event to speak to the guests and refreshments including drinks and boxed meals were available, the officials said. 

It’s unclear how long Pompeo remained in quarantine because his public schedule has him down for meetings as recently as December 21.

Advertisement


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button