Family seeks answers after premature baby is declared dead, then found alive in morgue, before later suffering multiple fatal heart attacks
- Jesús Sebastián suffered two heart attacks and died Sunday at a hospital in Torreón, Mexico, four days after doctors wrongly informed Daniela Hernández her child had died during delivery
- Moments after learning he had died, Hernández spotted her son moving inside an incubator but was told that was due to his body’s reflexes following the death
- Jesús Sebastián was found breathing by the family and hospital workers four hours after he was taken to the medical facility’s morgue
- The parents filed a complaint with the Mexican Social Security Institute No. 16 General Hospital
- Lawyer for the family told news channel Tele Diario that the treating physicians could face malpractice or homicide charges
A premature baby who mistakenly was pronounced dead after delivery – then found alive at the morgue – in a Mexico hospital last week has died of multiple heart attacks.
Daniela Hernández, who was 23 weeks pregnant, spent a week hospitalized before she went into labor at the Mexican Social Security Institute No. 16 General Hospital in Torreón, Coahuila, Wednesday.
Moments after she gave birth to Jesús Sebastían, Hernández said doctors erroneously informed her that the child was dead.
The concerned mother then spotted Jesús moving and told one of her doctors that her son was indeed alive.
‘I saw that he took him to an incubator and I saw that my baby was moving,’ Hernández told Milenio TV last Thursday.
But the doctor subsequently explained that what she observed was just her son’s reflex movement after death.
Daniela Hernández said she repeatedly told physicians assigned to her delivery last Wednesday at a hospital in Torreón, Mexico, that her son was alive and moving inside an incubator after one of them had informed her that her son Jesús Sebastián was stillbirth.
Jesús spent about four hours inside the morgue when workers allowed the family to enter the room after they vehemently requested to check if he was still alive before they shockingly found him breathing
Jesús was transferred to the hospital morgue after the parents signed a death certificate. But four hours later, the family insisted on checking to see if he still was alive.
Shockingly, they found him breathing at the morgue, they said.
Jesús was reported in stable condition, but then suffered two heart attacks and died Sunday evening, family lawyer Jesús Jasso told the Mexican news channel Tele Diario.
Jasso said the parents filed a complaint with the hospital Monday and that the treating physicians could be tried for malpractice or homicide.
The hospital responded: “The (Mexican Social Security Institute) in Coahuila deeply regrets the death of the minor, sympathizes with the parents and reiterates its position to make sure a full investigation is being carried out.”
The Coahuila Human Rights Commission said in a statement that it is looking into an investigation.
‘We regret the suffering that the family of the minor went through, first assuming his death and then realizing that he had vital signs when they noticed it was medical negligence,’ director Hugo Morales said.
The incident could be prosecuted by the Office of the Attorney General of Mexico.