The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit the UK next month for the first time since the Platinum Jubilee to attend two charity events – despite the ongoing row with the government over their police protection.
The couple will travel to Manchester for the One Young World Summit, an event which brings together young leaders from more than 190 countries, on September 5.
Harry and Meghan will then head to Germany for the Invictus Games Dusseldorf 2023 One Year to Go event, before returning to the UK for the WellChild Awards on September 8.
The Duchess of Sussex is a counsellor for the One Young World Summit, alongside Justin Trudeau, Sir Richard Branson, and Jamie Oliver, among others.
Their visit to the UK will be the first time they have been back in the country since the Platinum Jubilee celebrations in early June. It is not known if their three-year-old son, Archie, or Lilibet, one, will join them.
A spokesman for the couple said: ‘Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to visit with several charities close to their hearts in early September.’
Today’s announcement comes just weeks after it emerged Harry had filed a second lawsuit against the government and Scotland Yard over the decision not to allow him to pay for police protection when he visits from California.
The Duke of Sussex is already suing the Home Office over its decision in 2020 to remove his taxpayer-funded protection, which he says makes it unsafe for him to come to Britain with his wife, Meghan Markle, and two children, Archie and Lilibet.
It follows reports last month that the Queen had invited the Sussexes to spent time with them at Balmoral this summer.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will travel to Manchester for the One Young World Summit, an event which brings together young leaders from more than 190 countries, on September 5 (pic: The couple at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 3 during their last UK visit)
The couple will travel to Manchester for the One Young World Summit. Meghan is a counsellor for the organisation
What is Harry’s concern with UK security and why is he taking legal action?
Are Harry and his family covered by security arrangements currently?
He and his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, personally fund a private protection team in the US for their family.
The Sussexes have signed multimillion-pound deals with Netflix and Spotify, with Harry telling Oprah Winfrey he secured these to pay for his security.
But he and Meghan lost their taxpayer-funded police protection in the UK in the aftermath of quitting as senior working royals.
Why did they lose their taxpayer-funded security?
Their security provision was one of the key issues when the couple announced they wanted to step down in 2020.
Speaking to Winfrey during the couple’s sit-down interview in 2021, Harry said he was told that ‘due to our change of status – we would no longer be ‘official’ members of the royal family’.
He said he had been shocked by this and ‘pushed back’ on the issue, arguing that there had been no change of threat or risk to the couple.
Meghan, during the same interview, told how she had written to her husband’s family urging them not to ‘pull his security’, but had been told ‘it’s just not possible’.
At the time of announcing their stepping back from royal life in 2020, their website suggested the Home Office, through the Metropolitan Police, should continue to provide protection for the couple and Archie, their only child at the time.
Have they offered to pay for police protection in the UK themselves?
Yes. Harry wants to fund the security himself, rather than ask taxpayers to foot the bill, his legal representative said.
He first offered to personally pay for police protection in the UK for himself and his family during the so-called Sandringham summit in January 2020, but the legal representative said that offer ‘was dismissed’.
The representative added that Harry ‘remains willing to cover the cost of security, as not to impose on the British taxpayer’.
Can they use the same security team they have while in the US?
Harry’s legal representative said that while the couple personally fund a private security team for their family, ‘that security cannot replicate the necessary police protection needed whilst in the UK’.
His argument is that the US team does not have adequate jurisdiction abroad or access to UK intelligence information which is needed to keep the Sussex family safe.
What threats do the couple see themselves as facing in the UK?
In a statement, the legal representative said: ‘He remains sixth in line to the throne, served two tours of combat duty in Afghanistan, and in recent years his family has been subjected to well-documented neo-Nazi and extremist threats. While his role within the Institution has changed, his profile as a member of the Royal Family has not. Nor has the threat to him and his family.’
Will the couple return to the UK if the issue is not resolved in the way they would like?
A spokesperson for the duke has said that, in the absence of what they consider to be the necessary protection, ‘Prince Harry and his family are unable to return to his home’.
They insisted the UK ‘will always be Prince Harry’s home’, adding that it is ‘a country he wants his wife and children to be safe in’.
But they added: ‘With the lack of police protection, comes too great a personal risk.’
A Balmoral source told The Sun on Sunday: ‘Staff have been told to expect the full list of royals including Harry, Meghan and their children Archie and Lilibet. They are preparing for the Sussexes.’
However, ‘multiple sources’ close to the couple denied they had ever been invited at all, according to Page Six.
The Queen usually spends the whole of August and some of September at her residence in the Scottish Highlands.
If the Sussexes had gone to Balmoral, it would have allowed Archie and Lilibet to spent time with their great-grandmother. Palace insiders claimed the Sussexes ‘barely had 15 minutes’ with The Queen during the Jubilee.
The Queen’s diary may present challenges if the couple hope to see her in London or Windsor during their visit next month.
Their visit to Manchester on September 5 is the same day the Conservative Party will announce the next Prime Minister. The Queen traditionally meets the new PM soon afterwards.
Harry’s new legal case against the Home Office is understood to still be at an early phase, with no hearings yet scheduled.
It will focus on a decision in January by the Royalty and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC), which concluded that private individuals should not be allowed to pay for police to protect them.
The revelation of a second court case – which emerged on Meghan’s birthday – threatens to raise tensions with the Royal Family due to claims that the Queen’s Private Secretary, Sir Edward Young, was involved in the decision to deny Harry protection.
‘Significant tensions’ are said to have existed between the Duke of Sussex and Sir Edward, according to the prince’s legal team.
The Duke has been taking legal action against the department after being told he would no longer be given the ‘same degree’ of personal protective security when visiting from the US.
His representatives have previously told of how he wants to bring his family to visit from the US, but that they are ‘unable to return to his home’ because it is too dangerous.
The case is understood to have cost the Home Office £90,094.79 from September 2021 and May earlier this year.
That sum is understood to include £55,254 on the government’s Legal Department, £34,824 on counsel and £16.55 on couriers, The Sun reports.
Two hearings have taken place at the High Court in London since May, so it is predicted that the total bill will surpass £100,000. And that figure will rise further after a judge granted Harry’s legal team permission for part of his claim to have a judicial review into the Home Office’s decision.
The cost to the taxpayer would be reduced if the Home Office is awarded its costs back by the court and the Whitehall department run by Priti Patel has already said it will demand their legal costs back from Harry if his High Court battle fails.
A Government spokesperson said: ‘The UK Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. It is our long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on those arrangements, as doing so could compromise their integrity and affect individuals’ security.
‘It would not be appropriate to comment on ongoing legal proceedings.’
MailOnline has contacted Schillings, the Duke of Sussex’s UK lawyers, and the Met for comment.
News of the Sussex’s return to the UK comes as a new royal biography made bombshell claims about the Duchess of Sussex.
Tom Bower, author of a new insider’s account of the royal couple titled Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the war between the Windsors, said the Duchess ‘thought the royal family would be like Hollywood.’
Speaking to Ben Shephard and Charlotte Hawkins on Good Morning Britain he claimed that once Meghan realised the royal family was ‘lots of work and little reward’, she didn’t like it anymore.
The Queen’s diary may present challenges if the couple hope to see her in London or Windsor during their visit next month
It follows reports last month that the Queen had invited the Sussexes to spent time with them at Balmoral this summer
The author said: ‘It’s wrong to say she was a famous actress, she wasn’t, she was a third rate actress, Suits was only watched by a million people.’
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s move to Adelaide Cottage will mean ‘not having a live-in nanny for the first time in their children’s lives’
By Jonathan Rose and James Robinson for MailOnline
Prince William and Kate Middleton’s move to a four-bedroom home on the Windsor estate will mean ‘not having a live-in nanny for the first time in their children’s lives’.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are reportedly set to uproot their family from Kensington, west London, to Adelaide Cottage in Berkshire this summer in order to be closer to the Queen.
However, their young children will not have on hand because she will live elsewhere, according to The Telegraph.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are reportedly set to uproot their family from Kensington, west London, to a four-bed property in Windsor ‘to be closer to the Queen’
Ms Borrallo was hired by Kate and William, both 40, to help look after Prince George, nine, when he was eight months old and she now cares for Princess Charlotte, seven, and Prince Louis, four, too.
The ‘Spanish supernanny’ trained at the prestigious Norland College which has been producing childminders for the rich and famous since 1892.
Re-erected in 1831, the Cambridge’s new Grade II-listed retreat is just a short walk from St George’s Chapel and Windsor Castle, and sits proudly on the 655-acre royal estate in Berkshire.
Sources close to the family suggest the Cambridges were keen to be closer to the Queen, 96, who has suffered episodic mobility issues in recent months and also secure a good school for their three children.
During the interview, the author admitted that many of his sources were people who don’t like Meghan because she’d warned her nearest and dearest her not to speak to him.
Host Ben said to Tom: ‘She was a very famous actress. She had a high profile in Hollywood and Suits is a series that was streamed all over the world, so people knew who she was.’
Tom disagreed with the host, referring to Meghan’s cover story with Vanity Fair while she was dating Prince Harry.
‘Well we wont argue but I disagree with you,’ he said. ‘The point is, until she met Harry, even Graydon Carter the editor of Vanity Fair who commissioned the article never heard of her and never heard of Suits.
‘He was just told that anyone who marries Harry is going to be famous and she indeed was.’
‘She said to her father ‘I want to be famous, I want to walk down the red carpet’ and marrying Harry she achieved exactly that ambition.’
The biographer went on to say he believes the royal family tried very hard to accommodate Meghan and include her in the family.
He claimed: ‘People were very excited by the fact that there was a mixed race girl coming’, adding: ‘It was going to be a great development for the royal family.’
However, he said ‘it went wrong’ and why it went wrong he said he has ‘explained fully’ in his new book.
‘Both sides are to blame but I believe the blame lies mostly with Meghan, who I don’t think understood the monarchy,’ he claimed.
The author went on to admit he got a lot of his information for the book from people who don’t like Meghan because she had warned the people closest to her not to speak to him.
He said: ‘She made it pretty clear to all her friends and people who work for her not to talk to me, so it was quite an uphill struggle but I got enough people to speak to me, more than enough, I got about 80 people.’
To which Ben asked how the book is going to be an unbiased account if we know the people interviewed already don’t like Meghan.
The author said: ‘Because I sifted through, I never put in stuff that isn’t true and can’t be checked.
‘You know I have some admiration for Meghan she succeeded quite well in her life with her ambitions and I was able to balance it all.’
The author said no lawsuits from the Royal couple’s legal team have been issued yet, but Bower is no stranger to visiting court over his controversial biographies.
Two unauthorised biographies of Robert Maxwell, father of convicted British convicted sex offender and former socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, landed Bower in hot legal water — but ultimately won the raft of cases thrown at him.
The author has penned original accounts of business tycoons including Richard Branson, Conrad Black and Bernie Ecclestone — but in his latest he has gone after the Sussexes.
The book was released on July 21.
The Duke of Sussex has begun a second court case against the Home Office over its decision in 2020 to remove his taxpayer-funded protection
The couple (pictured at the UN last month before Harry’s speech) will also visit Germany as part of their trip to support ‘several charities close to their hearts’, their spokesperson said