Paul Alexander, 57, was charged Saturday with sex trafficking children throughout NYC
The CEO of a private jet company has been charged with multiple counts of sex trafficking minors after a months-long investigation by the NYPD and the New York Attorney General’s office.
Paul Alexander, 57, who is already a registered sex offender, was arrested on Thursday for allegedly sex trafficking children throughout New York City, the AG’s office announced.
The investigation claims it used undercover agents, covert recording devices and social media to catch Alexander as he charged an undercover police officer $300 for sex with a 12-year-old and 14-year-old child.
Alexander, who lists himself as CEO of Central Jet Charter, a private aircraft charter company, also allegedly advised the undercover cop that they should use marijuana and alcohol to make the victims more cooperative.
According to his record on the New York sex offender registry, Alexander has previously been convicted of first-degree sexual abuse and possession of child pornography.
The investigation into Alexander, named ‘Operation Mile High’ due to his profession, was first launched in March after he was reported to the NYPD by a female minor, according to a statement from the AG’s office.
The girl alleged that Alexander sexually abused her and other underage girls, and promoted them for prostitution to other men.
An investigation called ‘Operation Mile High’ was launched into Alexander in March after a female victim came forward, so named as he works as a CEO of a private jet company
‘There is nothing more reprehensible than sexually exploiting a child,’ New York City Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement posted to Facebook Saturday
Alexander’s arrest marks the first time that the city’s AG Letitia James has charged a defendant with the newly enacted crime of Sex Trafficking of a Child.
The new crime was introduced to strengthen prosecutors’ ability to hold sex traffickers accountable, James’ office said
‘There is nothing more reprehensible than sexually exploiting a child,’ James said in a statement.
‘This individual’s alleged actions jeopardized the health and safety of our children and highlighted the critical need for these new protections that strengthen our ability to hold perpetrators accountable for these gross violations of the law.
‘I thank the NYPD for their partnership in this investigation, and I will continue to use all the tools at my office’s disposal to hold accountable those who seek to abuse our children,’ she added.
Alexander was first placed on the New York sex offender registry 20 years ago
He has two previous convictions that placed him on the registry: first-degree sexual abuse in 1996 along with a separate conviction for possessing child pornography in 2003
There were no further details released on Alexander’s potential number of victims or for how long he had run the operation.
However, the investigative team did determine that he was trafficking children across county lines.
‘The NYPD and our law enforcement partners share a commitment to protect the survivors of child trafficking, and we will continue to fight on behalf of our society’s most vulnerable individuals,’ NYPD Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said.
James Alexander, pictured in a previous mug shot, faces up to 50 years in prison if convicted on the top charges
‘I thank and commend the NYPD detectives involved in this investigation and the New York State Office of the Attorney General for their efforts to ensure child predators are taken off our streets.
‘The NYPD will continue to work with our law enforcement partners to eradicate the trafficking of children in our city and work to bring justice to victims of these heinous crimes.’
Alexander was arraigned in Bronx County Criminal Court on Saturday and charged with sex trafficking of a child, attempted sex trafficking of a child, related counts of first and second degrees of promoting prostitution, and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
He faces up to 50 years in prison if convicted on the top charges.
James said that Alexander is a Level 3 Sex Offender. He has been registered on the New York State Sex Offender Registry website for 20 years.
He has prior convictions for first-degree sexual abuse along with a separate conviction for possessing child pornography, according to Heavy.
His record on the New York sex offenders’ registry reveals that in 1990, he was found guilty of sexual abuse after overpowering and choking his female victim. He was convicted in 1996 and received a state prison sentence of 2-4 years.
And in 2003, he was convicted for ‘possessing an obscene sexual performance by a child less than 16 years old’. The victim was described as a ‘non-stranger’.
He received 18 months and 3 years behind bars but was released on parole by December 2004.
Alexander will return to court on December 8.