BREAKING: Schools in Tennessee are put in lockdown and children are evacuated to National Guard armory after reports of active shooter
- Tennessee schools are in lockdown because of an ’emergency situation’
- Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office said there are reports of an active shooter on the grounds of a Tennessee high school
- The reports are coming from Volunteer High School in the city of Church Hill, and officers are on scene
- The Hawkins County School school district said at 9:52am that all students have been driven to the armory, which is about seven miles away
- Hawkins County is a rural area in the Northwest section of the state near the Virginia border
Reports of an active shooter on the grounds of a Tennessee high school sparked lockdowns of several schools in the Hawkins County School District.
The sheriff’s department said the reports are coming from Volunteer High School in the city of Church Hill, and officers are on scene.
There’s a massive police presence in the area.
Videos on social media show school buses escorted by law enforcement driving students to the nearby Mount Carmel National Guard armory, and parents filing into the armory to pick up their children.
The Hawkins County School school district said at 9:52am that all students have been driven to the armory, which is about seven miles away.
‘Parents, please stay in your cars when you arrive to the armory and wait for further instructions. Staff are there to assist with reunification process,’ the school district said in a statement.
Reports of an active shooter on the Volunteer High School campus – pictured here – is prompting lockdowns of Hawkins County, Tennessee schools
About an hour earlier – at 8:43am – the school district issued this statement:
‘There has been an emergency situation at Volunteer High School. Out of an abundance of caution, all schools from Surgoinsville to East Hawkins County have been placed on lockdown.
‘Our major concern at this time is for the safety of our students and staff; please stay clear of the area to allow law enforcement and emergency personnel access to the area.’
Police and the school district haven’t released any other information.
Hawkins County is a rural area in the Northwest section of the state near the Virginia border.
Students returned to the classroom on Monday for a half day, and today is the first full day of classes, according to the district’s website.
A large police presence responded to reports of an active shooter around a Tennessee high school in Hawkins County. It’s unclear if the reported shooter is in the school or outside
This is a breaking news story. More to follow