Russell Simmons prevails in $10M legal battle with woman who accused him of raping her in 1988 … as case is dismissed due to time limits
- WARNING: Story contains triggers
- LA County judge said accuser’s legal moves made 28 years past deadline
- She filed her suit in March 2018 after Simmons faced multiple accusations of sexual misconduct amid #MeToo movement
A $10 million lawsuit filed against Russell Simmons was dismissed in Los Angeles on Friday due to time limitations.
The hip hop executive and producer, 63, was sued by a woman who accused him of raping her in 1988; she filed her suit in March 2018, months after Simmons was one of the powerful men facing multiple accusations of sexual misconduct amid the #MeToo movement.
His accuser, who filed the suit under the name Jane Doe to protect her anonymity, sued him for sexual battery and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. She said that the Def Jam Recordings cofounder raped her and claimed he would rape her son if she didn’t submit to his urges, Page Six reported; Simmons denied all of the accusations.
The latest: A $10 million lawsuit filed against Russell Simmons was dismissed in LA on Friday due to time limitations. He was snapped last year in NYC
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Mark Epstein in October said that Simmons’ accuser did not go on the record with authorities within the statute of limitations.’
The judge said that Simmons’ accuser had ‘incontrovertibly admitted that he alleged incident occurred in 1988,’ and that in ‘calculating the limitations period…she would have had to file her action in 1990.’
The Queens, New York native’s legal team pushed for the case to be dismissed after his accuser did not respond to the ruling last month.
‘Having received no response from Plaintiff during the two weeks following the entry of that minute order … judgment is hereby entered in favor of defendant, Russell Simmons,’ the judge wrote in his ruling.
Details: The Queens, New York native’s legal team pushed for the case to be dismissed after his accuser did not respond to the ruling last month
Simmons was one of the powerful men facing multiple accusations of sexual misconduct amid the #MeToo movement
The woman said she first crossed paths with Simmons at a concert he was promoting in Sacramento, and Simmons invited her and her son (who was elementary school age) backstage.
Simmons’ accuser said she dropped off her son with a babysitter and accompanied the hip-hop mogul to a bar and a nightclub before going to his hotel room.
Simmons’ accuser told the court that he had reassured her he was not looking for any sex, as he said he was involved with a model at the time. She said that when they arrived in his hotel, he told her, ‘I am going to f*** you or I’m going to f*** your son – you decide,’ before sexually assaulting her on the bed.
Thomasina Perkins-Washington, a rep for the embattled music exec, said in reaction to the court’s ruling: ‘We are grateful for the ruling made in this case, although it was dismissed on a technicality my client has always maintained and upon review it is clear he has never met this woman; nor has she produced anyone with whom she has told the story to in over 33 years.
‘Mr. Simmons continues to be in full support of women and what they bring to the world. There have been generations and generations of trauma and injustice … it is time for constructive dialogue and healing to begin.’