Donald Trump was talked out of launching a missile strike on Iran’s main nuclear site by his top advisers last week who warned it could trigger a war
- President Trump asked senior advisers about taking action against Iran’s main nuclear site at a meeting last Thursday, the New York Times reported Monday
- Four current and former US officials said Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo were among those present at the meeting
- The meeting took place a day after international inspectors informed the president that Iran had significantly increased its stockpile of nuclear material
- Trump’s advisers talked him out of launching a strike by warning that such action could trigger a wider conflict with Iran
Trump brought his idea to advisers including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C Miller and Chairman of Joint Chiefs Mark Milley at a meeting in the Oval Office last Thursday, the New York Times reported Monday, citing four current and former US officials.
That meeting took place a day after international inspectors informed the president that Iran had significantly increased its stockpile of nuclear material, the Times sources said.
Trump’s advisers ultimately talked him out of taking action against Iran’s main nuclear facility by warning that a strike could trigger into a wider conflict.
This is a developing story.
President Donald Trump asked senior advisers last week about launching a strike against Iran in response to its growing nuclear program, an alarming new report claims